Thursday, November 17, 2011

My Little One-Room Schoolhouse **Takeover #6**

*** Takeover #6 ***
Let's welcome Amy from My Little One-Room Schoolhouse as she is next to takeover my blog for the month of November. Are you wondering what's going on? Check out this post where I explain what's happening. A very special thank you to ALL my friends who have so willingly stepped in to TAKEOVER my blog for a couple weeks :)


Hello fellow Bella readers.  I'm Amy and I blog over at My Little One-Room Schoolhouse. I blog about activities I do with my 6 kids as well as crafts and recipes that I make.
Just like a teacher in the one-room schoolhouses of old would teach a little bit of everything, I include some of this and some of that in my blog. I was happy to give Bella a helping hand and this is actually my first guest post. Today I'm sharing one of my family's favorite Christmas recipes.  This is a recipe I grew up making every year and now I make these cookies with my children.
Candy Cane Cookies
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup powdered sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp red food color
crushed peppermint candy
1/4-1/2 cup granulated sugar
 Cream together the butter and shortening.  Add powdered sugar.  Mix in egg and flavorings.  Beat well.
Blend in flour and salt.
Divide dough in half.
Blend food color into one half.
To make cookies, take one tsp of each color dough.
Roll each into a 4-inch rope by rolling carefully back and forth on lightly floured surface..
Place ropes side by side and press together lightly.  Twist.
Place on ungreased cookie sheet and curve top to form the candy cane shape.
Recruit some helpers to make the assembly go quicker since each cookie has to be formed separately.
Bake about 8 minutes at 375 until very light brown and set. Crush peppermint candy.  Mix with granulated sugar.
Remove hot cookies from sheet and gently roll or sprinkle with sugar mixture.  Place on waxed paper to cool.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies if you can keep the dough-eating monsters away. :) These can be time consuming to make, but the kids have fun making them and they always get "oohs and aahs" when served.

**Thanks so much Amy**
Those do look incredibly tasty, and the kids look so cute baking with mama. That is always so much fun!! 
Good luck with the giveaway girl!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments. I also LOVE visiting your blog, so please leave a CLICKABLE LINK to your blog post by using the following code!!

<a href="link to your url, or direct blog post"> what you want your link to say </a>

P.S. Thanks BUNCHES for reading my blog and leaving a NICE comment :)

Hugs, Bella

My photo
In my spare time I enjoy cooking, and baking. In fact my mother and I have been making cakes for over 30 years. I also love gardening, traveling, and all things crafty. I struggle daily to keep my like organized, along with my never ending battle to keep the house clean. I adore my three kids MOST of the time, and can usually be found doing the mom thing from morning till night. I try to catch a few mommy moments, but those are hard to find in this wonderful life of mine. I am blessed and happy, and am thrilled you stopped by today :)