Thursday, June 16, 2011

Romanian Church Potluck

Our Church caught on fire last month on May 5th. Since the fire Sunday mass has been held outside, and the service has been moved to a much earlier time due to extreme heat later in the afternoon. Regardless everyone still gathers for Church every Sunday, and once a month there is a potluck meal. There is so much food, and you will notice a LOT of special breads, and a particular type of sweet called COLIVA, which is eaten in honor of the dead. There are lots of candles, and red wine, and after the service the Priest blesses the food, and everyone there, and it's time to eat.
 Take a look at all that yumminess. Don't get me wrong but you will never find donuts here, at least not store bought ones, hehe. Romanians love to eat, and we love to eat good food. That big round bread on the left there is a sweet kind of bread with raisin.
 Our Priest blessing the food. Can you see those two cake looking things there towards the center, that is COLIVA. It is absolutely delicious and as soon as I get a good recipe I will share it with you.

I hope you enjoyed that little peak into a typical Romanian Church Sunday. Well typical if you are Romanian Orthodox like we are. However despite the religion, one thing you WILL find in common is the food, no matter what church you go to. As long as there are Romanians there, you will find plenty of great homemade delicious food.


3 comments:

  1. I didn't realize you were Romanian! I spent a semester in Romania when I was in college, working in an orphanage. It's a very special place to me, I loved my time there. It's neat to make that kind of connection! :)

    Heather
    diy kinda girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. my neighbors are romanian. It was fun to go to the first birthday party of their daughter. she picked the keys of couse. we laughed and said they better start saving now. looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments. I also LOVE visiting your blog, so please leave a CLICKABLE LINK to your blog post by using the following code!!

<a href="link to your url, or direct blog post"> what you want your link to say </a>

P.S. Thanks BUNCHES for reading my blog and leaving a NICE comment :)

Hugs, Bella

My photo
In my spare time I enjoy cooking, and baking. In fact my mother and I have been making cakes for over 30 years. I also love gardening, traveling, and all things crafty. I struggle daily to keep my like organized, along with my never ending battle to keep the house clean. I adore my three kids MOST of the time, and can usually be found doing the mom thing from morning till night. I try to catch a few mommy moments, but those are hard to find in this wonderful life of mine. I am blessed and happy, and am thrilled you stopped by today :)