Thursday, March 17, 2011

Welcome to America GOLD Four Leaf Clover!!!

Today I want to share with you a little about my family.
We are from Romania, and when I was just 6 months old, my dad left my mother and I to search for a better life for us in America. It was a long, hard journey, that was very dangerous, from the very start. Crossing the border back in the communism days, was no joke, and had they been caught, they would have been shoot dead, in the fields.

Luckily they made it to Austria, where they were kept in a work camp, and they all went on a hunger strike for 2 weeks, so that we could eventually join them sooner. While there, my dad made some friends, and soon had a sponsor who would help him come to America. After reaching the UNITED STATES, he had nothing but a small handbag, and the shirt on his back, maybe $100. His friends all ended up going to Canada (one of which is my Godfather, whom I love very much). 
Read more about my dad here.
My father, was a hard worker, and immediately made friends everywhere he went, he quickly learned to speak Engish, though Spanish was much easier for him. He saved up enough money to get a small apartment, and even a car. His dream was to have a car, and now it was a reality. The day came when my mother and I would finally arrive in America too, and no man could be prouder to pick his wife and baby daughter up in a new car, in the pouring rain, and bring them home. We didn't have a bed, we slept on the floor, we didn't have a table, we ate on a big box, and life was hard, for them. I don't remember anything.


Anyway during these first few months, my dad gave my mom a necklace, with a gold charm, a four leaf clover, so that we would have good luck in our new country, in our new home.


Luck is a funny thing, you know. My parents both worked hard, and built a wonderful life for my brother and I, and then in a flash, it's all gone, when my dad suddenly died, when I was 15. 
I don't consider that lucky, but, we have been blessed with so many things. My incredible family, my mom, my brother, my kids, my husband, and luckily we've never had to go without since those first few weeks in America. We've always had food on the table a warm place to sleep. 


This necklace was always special to me, and today I wear it, as a reminder of my dad, and my mom's will to succeed. I wish all of you a wonderful day, and may it be full of luck. 

I've also linked this up to 

So here is my song Steph, how appropriate to share this song. My parents totally LOVED this song so much, and it totally gives me goosebumps every time I hear it. 
Also a quick shout out to my best friend back in California. 
She is living it up in San Francisco right now, with her man, celebrating her St. Patricks Day, BDAY.... lucky!!!
Here's a couple pics from the last time I saw her, we went to the beach, and had a great time.











If you liked this post, then follow me dude!
SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL
Enter your email address here:

Don't forget to LINK up to my weekly party. 
AMAZE ME AUGUST
             

9 comments:

  1. What a beautiful story. It brought tears to my eyes. What a neat thing to be able to pass down to your children :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a heart warming story that brought tears to my eyes...so sad about your father but you are lucky to be blessed with your family! A beautiful necklace too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awwwww thank you for sharing this bella!!! <3 what a great story behind the four leaf clover necklace! and omg what your parents went through! They are so strong! =)

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a sudden urge to watch Casablanca.
    Thanks for sharing that and linking it up to Luxe today. I loved learning something like that about you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved how you shared this with us all! I don't know what you actually sound like in real life, but I can imagine sitting over a pot of tea or coffee and just chatting about it all. Thanks Bella!
    Such a lovely reminder of all we DO have here in America.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please, Bella, you HAVE to share more stories like this. I could have read on forever!
    I know how terrible life was in the former "Ostblock", and I also know that people were shot without warning when they tried to esvape to make a better life for themselves and their families. Heck, even people from Eastern Germany were murdered while trying to leg it, and that took place up until 1989.
    These things are easily forgotten, even people from Eastern Germany now tend to forget when they remark how hard life in the unified Germany often seems to be.
    I have never experienced oppression dashed out by my government (neither in Germany nor in England), and I cannot begin to comprehend how terrible it must be if people are willing to expose themselves to mortal danger just to get the hell out of there.
    I am so happy for you that you have that little clover and beautiful, beautiful memories of your brave, proud, amazing father.
    You inspire me to cherish what I have- so much I take for granted where I shouldn't. Thank you, Bella!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful story. Thanks for sharing. I am a immigrant from South Africa, and have been living in America for 8 years now. WE went to see Neil Diamond a few years back, and that song gave me goose bumps, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Bella! What a touching story! I am always so touched hearing great immigrations stories of very hard working people such as you and your family! Thank you for sharing this sweet story with all of us!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lucky for you that you have a link to your family's history...and a wonderful story it is!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments. I also LOVE visiting your blog, so please leave a CLICKABLE LINK to your blog post by using the following code!!

<a href="link to your url, or direct blog post"> what you want your link to say </a>

P.S. Thanks BUNCHES for reading my blog and leaving a NICE comment :)

Hugs, Bella

My photo
In my spare time I enjoy cooking, and baking. In fact my mother and I have been making cakes for over 30 years. I also love gardening, traveling, and all things crafty. I struggle daily to keep my like organized, along with my never ending battle to keep the house clean. I adore my three kids MOST of the time, and can usually be found doing the mom thing from morning till night. I try to catch a few mommy moments, but those are hard to find in this wonderful life of mine. I am blessed and happy, and am thrilled you stopped by today :)